Yes it’s huge – over 700 absolutely beautifully written pages huge! I don’t generally go for the ‘undead’ genre but this one cannot be ignored. A security error sets an unprecedented military experiment on the world. We brought it upon ourselves. We created the virus and the zombies it spawned. We created Amy, too, but we don’t know what she will do. Humans are doomed – or are they? Will Amy be the answer to the end of the horror? And how can she end it? She’s only one little girl. This is an amazing book. I don’t care what you generally like to read. It’s addictive and you immediately forget how heavy it felt when you first picked it up.
Steve Ross, aka Mr. Steve, is a Vroman's institution. In addition to working in the Vroman's Children's Department, he is also our DVD and bargain book buyer. He will find you a bargain, if there's one to be found. He is also the host of Vroman's popular Storytime with Mr. Steve, Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10am.
"I was hired at Vroman's Bookstore in 1989. Since then, I have become something of an expert in Kid's Books and remainder buying.
Top Five Picture Books for Storytime (in print as of 2010):
1. Fish Out of Water – Helen Palmer
2. That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown – Cressida Cowell
3. Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig - Eugene Trivizas
4. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus - Mo Willems
5. Beware of the Frog – William Bee
Top Five Favorite Novelists (Kid’s Dept.):
1. Derek Landy – Skulduggery Pleasant
2. Dean Lorey – Nightmare Academy
3. Anthony Horowitz – Alex Rider
4. Suzanne Collins – Hunger Games
5. Michael Carroll – Quantum Prophecy
Top Five Favorite Graphic Novel Authors
1. Alan Moore – Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Ballad of Halo Jones
2. John Wagner – Strontium Dog, Judge Dredd, Button Man, A History of Violence
3. Pat Mills – Slaine, Nemesis the Warlock, Marshal Law
4. Ben Dunn – Ninja High School, Warrior Nun Areala, Marvel Mangaverse
5. Evan Dorkin – Milk and Cheese, Dork!
Top Five Favorite Authors (Who Got Mr. Steve Interested in Books Without Pictures):
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs (Tarzan, John Carter of Mars)
2. Kenneth Robeson/Lester Dent (Doc Savage)
3. Grant Stockbridge/Norvell Page (The Spider)
4. L. Ron Hubbard (Final Blackout, Golden Age Stories)
5. Robert E. Howard (Conan, Solomon Kane)
Top Five Favorite Writers (Adult):
1. Maria Amparo Escandon – Esperanza’s Box of Saints, Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking Co.
2. don Miguel Ruiz – Five Agreements, Voice of Knowledge
3. Susan Gregg - The Toltec Way
4. Walter Moers – 13 ½ Lives of Captain Bluebear, Rumo
5. Vern – Seagalogy: A Study of the @$$-Kicking Films of Steven Seagal
Top Five Favorite Book Subjects:
1. Action and Exploitation Movies
2. Guinea Pigs
3. ‘80s New Wave Bands
4. Pro Wrestling (especially lucha libre)
5. Comics and graphic novels, especially Britian's 2000 A.D.
Favorite Kid’s Novel That Should Never Should Have Gone Out of Print, and Should Be Made Into a Major Motion Picture ™:
1. Sir MacHinery by Tom McGowen