There are no products in your shopping cart.
Please call 626-449-5320 to check the availability of this item.
Own Your Self: The Surprising Path beyond Depression, Anxiety, and Fatigue to Reclaiming Your Authenticity, Vitality, and Freedom (Hardcover)
On Our Shelves Now
New York Times best-selling author presents a radical alternative to psychotropic meds: discerning the meaning in your symptoms and your struggle as a way to reclaim your health and your self.
For years, we've been telling ourselves that our difficult feelings-sadness, rage, shame, intensity, worry-are somehow "not okay." And, all too often, we've relied on the promise of pharmaceuticals to tamp them down. The fact is, though, that these feelings are a vital part of our experience. They are real. And those of us who feel them most strongly are the canaries in the coalmine-sensitive to things that are seriously wrong in the world today.
In a book that's both provocative and promising, holistic psychiatrist Kelly Brogan, M.D., author of A Mind of Your Own, shows us that we don't have to medicate our mental, emotional, and physical pain away-that the best way out is through. She explodes the mistaken belief that our symptoms-from mood changes to irritability to fogginess and fatigue-are evidence that we are sick or broken. Then she charts a new path to get real, get well, and get free. The journey includes:
• Coming to a new appreciation of the meaning behind symptoms, and whether you are a canary in the coal mine
• Learning the 2 major risks of medication that most doctors are not trained to disclose
• Exploring the 5 reversible physical drivers of so-called mental illness
• Starting the process of radical physical healing with inclusive details of Dr. Brogan's history-making 30-day protocol
• Taking an emotional inventory of energy drains and toxic relationships
• Taking a deeper dive into the spiritual awakening and expansion that comes when you reclaim your real self from conventional medicine
• Identifying the most likely places you have given your power away
• Understanding what the science has to say about psychedelics as a tool for awakening
• Navigating health challenges with curiosity and the proper tools
• Guidance, support, and many Travel Tips shared from the trenches!
Our experiences, Dr. Brogan argues, aren't problems or pathologies; they reflect what we need to accept, acknowledge, and transform in order to truly become who we are. Own Your Self is a journey of healing, and also something more: a journey of coming home to ourselves.
About the Author
Kelly Brogan, M.D., is a holistic psychiatrist, author of the New York Times best-selling book A Mind of Your Own and the children's book A Time for Rain, and co-editor of the landmark textbook Integrative Therapies for Depression. She completed her psychiatric training and fellowship at NYU Medical Center after graduating from Cornell University Medical College and has a B.S. from M.I.T. in Systems Neuroscience. She is board-certified in psychiatry, psychosomatic medicine, and integrative holistic medicine and is specialized in a root-cause resolution approach to psychiatric syndromes and symptoms. She is a certified KRI Kundalini Yoga teacher and a mother of two.
"Kelly Brogan engages us in a courageous conversation about the epidemic of mental health issues in our society. Her work is an important part of the understanding that will set us free, at a time when an increasingly narrow interpretation of why such issues exist--and what we need to do to heal them--is as much a part of the problem as part of the solution."
- Marianne Williamson, New York Times best-selling author of A Return to Love
"We are in an age where mental, emotional, and physical balance has become our highest value. Own Your Selfgives you the best possible solution on how to change your mind, your body, and your life. Kelly Brogan, M.D., does an amazing job combining cutting-edge information along with the practical tools for you to live a healthier personal reality. Her clinical and holistic approach from years of experience in doing independent research as a successful psychiatrist will teach as well as inspire you to get real, get well, and get free."
- Dr. Joe Dispenza, New York Times best-selling author of You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
"Kelly Brogan calls you to make a change more profound than you ever thought possible--and gives you a supportive, insightful road map to guide you every step of the way."
- Shefali Tsabary, Ph.D., New York Times best-selling author of The Conscious Parent
"Dr. Kelly Brogan is a voice of sanity and compassion for our healing crises. She sings into the heart of our buried wisdom, makes clear what's broken in the culture. And backing it with science, Kelly gives us the path to genuine healing and sovereignty."
- Danielle LaPorte, creator of The Desire Map series
"If you want to work on releasing suppressed emotions, Dr. Brogan has given you the perfect guide in Own Your Self. She encourages you to listen to and honor your emotions--and any related physical symptoms--fully and deeply, so that you may find a permanent, healing solution that gets to the root of the problem."
- Kelly Turner, Ph.D., New York Times best-selling author of Radical Remission
"A road map of relief for those yearning for authentic self-acceptance and long-lasting emotional freedom."
- Matt Kahn, author of Everything Is Here to Help You
"A potent instrument of intellectual liberation and practical healing."
- Charles Eisenstein, author of The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know Is Possible
"Kelly Brogan is a true psychiatrist, a doctor of the soul, and a guide back home to your authentic self. Her synthesis of science, deep humanity, and practical tools for well-being are crystal clear and right on target."
- Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., New York Times best-selling author of Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
"Kelly Brogan has, once again, boldly, dangerously, and clearly pushed the conversation forward on how we individually and collectively heal. . . . I am elated to have this work to refer to from here forward."
- Kimberly Ann Johnson, author of The Fourth Trimester