The Legal Writing Handbook: Analysis, Research, and Writing (Aspen Coursebook) (Paperback)
With the authors' effective step-by-step approach, The Legal Writing Handbook: Analysis, Research, and Writing walks students through each of the stages of the writing process from pre-writing, drafting, and editing, to the final draft. A leading text for generations of law students, the Eighth Edition gives students a head start as they move into practice.
The Legal Writing Handbook offers a complete resource on legal writing. Part I provides students with an introduction to the U.S. Legal System; Part II gives an overview of legal research, with both an introduction to sources and to research strategies; Part III introduces students to predictive memos, e-memos, and client letters; Part IV covers motion briefs; Part V offers an overview of appellate briefs; Part VI introduces oral advocacy; Part VII is a guide to effective writing; Part VIII is a guide to correct writing; and Part IX focuses on the needs of ESL writers.
With a new streamlined organization and completely updated content, this is the only book on legal writing students will ever need.
New to the Eighth Edition:
- Streamlined organization with chapters focused on key topics
- New appendix with easy reference to all the Quick Tips to improve legal writing
- Updated and added discussion throughout the book on the role of bias in legal language and argumentation
- A new chapter introducing rhetoric and bias
Professors and student will benefit from:
- Given the breadth of coverage, the book can be easily adapted for two-, three-, or four-semester programs.
- Multiple examples and sample documents--this text demystifies legal writing.
- Helpful overview of the American legal system
- Step-by-step instruction on how to write formal memos, e-memos, and opinion letters
- Step-by-step instruction on how to write motion and appellate briefs
- In-depth instruction on how to write and edit effectively and correctly
- Resources for ESL law students
- With online Connected Coursebook access, students receive additional exercises with sample answers and other helpful resources.