Ikat: The Essential Handbook to Weaving Resist-Dyed Cloth (The Weaver's Studio) (Hardcover)
Warning messageMean Menu style requires jQuery library version 1.7 or higher, but you have opted to provide your own library. Please ensure you have the proper version of jQuery included. (note: this is not an error)
Usually arrives at our store within 4-7 days
Textile enthusiasts, the ultimate reference you've been waiting for is here--Ikat!
Ikat: The Essential Handbook to Weaving with Resists is your introduction to the fundamentals of a resurging trend in woven cloth. Award-winning weaver and instructor Mary Zicafoose has spent more than 30 years exploring the possibilities of ikat and now shares her wealth of knowledge with you. Dig into the pages of this handbook to discover:
• Historical background on ikat with gorgeous visual refernces.
• Instruction in warp, weft, and double ikat techniques, written and illustrated in clear sequential steps.
• Instructions to build ikat wrapping boards.
• An addendum on painted "faux" ikat using dye pastes and brushes.
• Acid and indigo dye system recipes and procedures.
• Compelling projects with detailed instruction taking you from undyed yarn to woven ikat cloth.
• A gallery of contemporary ikat created by a range of diversely talented dyers and weavers.
All this and more is waiting for you in Ikat: The Essential Handbook to Weaving with Resists.
About the Author
Nebraska artist MARY ZICAFOOSE creates woven tapestries saturated with frequency, nuanced with spirit, and technically layered using the timeless process of weft ikat. Her involvement with ikat and archetypal symbols has led her to travel extensively, studying the handwork of weaving cultures that produce ikat cloth. A passionate artist, teacher, speaker, mentor, and arts advocate, Mary is co-director emerita of the American Tapestry Alliance. Her ikat tapestries are woven metaphors that strive to tie the contemporary, the symbolic, and the timeless together, coded to become powerful emissaries of art and cloth.