Moon Bali & Lombok: Outdoor Adventures, Local Culture, Secluded Beaches (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now
Whether you're seeking serenity on a sandy beach, learning to freedive, or trekking to the top of a volcano, a spiritual adventure awaits with Moon Bali & Lombok. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible itineraries including a week in Bali or Lombok and a two-week island-hopping itinerary covering Bali, Lombok, and the Gili Islands
- Strategic advice for surfers, spiritual and wellness travelers, culture mavens, and more
- Must-see highlights and unique experiences: Rent a scooter and cruise past stunning rice terraces, breathe in the smell of incense and witness the Balinese Hindu rituals at Lempuyang Temple, or marvel at the cliff-top temple of Uluwatu. Crack open a fresh coconut, order authentic mie goreng from a food stand, and swap stories with local Sasak people over a thick cup of coffee. Dance until dawn at a beachfront bar or escape the crowds and find solitude on a black sand beach
- Outdoor adventures: Trek through rainforests to the summit of Mount Rinjani and watch the sunrise peek over the caldera rim. Swim with manta rays and sea turtles, scuba dive among shipwrecks and coral reefs, or surf the legendary waves
- How to experience Bali and Lombok like an insider, support local and sustainable businesses, avoid over-tourism, and respectfully engage with the culture
- Expert insight from Chantae Reden, a writer with deep ties to both islands, on where to eat, how to get around, and where to stay, from guest cottages and beach bungalows to luxurious resorts
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Reliable background information on the landscape, climate, wildlife, and history, as well as common customs and etiquette
- Handy tools including Balinese, Sasak, and Indonesian phrasebooks, packing suggestions, and travel tips for families with kids, seniors, travelers with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ travelers
Exploring more of Asia? Check out Moon Vietnam or Moon Japan.
About the Author
Chantae Reden is a content creator, journalist, and photographer with deep connections to Bali and Lombok. She's been exploring Southeast Asia for years: she's slept in a five-star villa one night and on the floor of a public ferry the next, trekked to the summit of Mount Rinjani, freedived 100 feet deep in Amed, and eaten everywhere from fine dining resorts to street stalls. Recently, she spent a few months in Lombok starting a small textile trading business with local Sasak women. She completed her AIDA*** freediving certification in Bali in the summer of 2018.
Chantae is currently the social media manager for Skyscanner Australia and welcomes thousands of readers per month on her websites, Chantae.com and TheSaltSirens.com. She's backpacked through more than 20 countries, and her writing has appeared in Parabola Magazine, Travel + Leisure, SurfGirl Magazine, Backpacker Essentials, and Pacific Island Living, among others. She's passionate about ocean conservation, and loves all things watersports, including kitesurfing, wakeboarding, and scuba diving.