Whittling for Beginners Handbook: Starter Guide with Easy Projects, Step by Step Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (DIY #3) (Paperback)
Warning messageMean Menu style requires jQuery library version 1.7 or higher, but you have opted to provide your own library. Please ensure you have the proper version of jQuery included. (note: this is not an error)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 3 in the DIY series.
- #1: The Leatherworking Starter Handbook: Beginner Friendly Guide to Leather Crafting Process, Tips and Techniques (DIY #1) (Paperback): $18.57
- #2: Pyrography for Beginners Handbook: Learn to Burn Guide in Wood Burning with Starter Projects and Patterns (DIY #2) (Paperback): $15.99
- #4: The Leather Crafting, Wood Burning and Whittling Starter Handbook: Beginner Friendly 3 in 1 Guide with Process, Tips and Techniques in Leatherworking (DIY #4) (Paperback): $25.99
- #5: Wood Joinery for Beginners Handbook: The Essential Joinery Guide with Tools, Techniques, Tips and Starter Projects (DIY #5) (Paperback): $13.99
- #6: Woodturning for Beginners Handbook: The Step-by-Step Guide with Tools, Techniques, Tips and Starter Projects (DIY #6) (Paperback): $11.57
- #7: Cabinet Making for Beginners Handbook: The Step-by-Step Guide with Tools, Techniques, Tips and Starter Projects (DIY #7) (Paperback): $11.57
- #8: Weekend Whittling For Kids And Parents: Beginner Guide with 31 Easy Projects for Digital Detox & Family Bonding (DIY #8) (Paperback): $8.99
- #9: Weekend Woodworking For Kids, Teens and Parents: A Beginner's Guide with 20 DIY Projects for Digital Detox and Family Bonding (Paperback): $8.99
"Whittling for me is more than just an art. It is like meditation and rather therapeutical. Every single time you create something, it brings you the delight and also the happiness that meets your mind and soul".
This is the reply I got from an old practitioner when I asked him how do you interpret Whittling. Then I realized the core idea behind this craft. It comes with no deadline, no pre-written script, no rules, and just pure expression of your emotions through a knife and a piece of wood.
In the present times, when all the self-help gurus are talking about Digital Detox, Whittling comes as a strong contender to pass on to the young and the old alike.
My Journey in Whittling
My wife introduced me to the world of Whittling 5 years ago. As I was already into Leathercraft and Pyrography, I got the basics quickly. But reaching the intermediate level in any art requires practice and patience. It has been an incredible journey for the last few years, working alongside her on various Whittling projects.
About the Book
This book is like a friend sharing his experiences and taking you from point A to B in your Whittling journey. The examples and references are real and taken out of the conversations with various experienced Whittlers.
The book covers:
- Introduction: History of Whittling, how it started and became part of popular culture.
- Wood: All about the type of wood, grains, and tips for starting.
- Tools: All about pocket and carving knives
- Techniques: All type of cuts
- Safety: Gloves, Thumb pads, duct tape, and other innovative options.
- Starter projects with photos and step by step instructions
- Frequently asked questions: 22 beginner questions as answered by experts: Multiple solutions to a single problem
- List of online resources for patterns
I have included realistic photographs, discussions, tips, FAQs, which I have received along the way of my journey in Whittling over the years.
Still on the fence?
Okay, let me explain to you the difference between Wood Carving and Whittling?
Whittling is like an unplanned vacation (go with the flow), and Wood Craving is like planning a vacation through a tour operator
And lastly my favorite analogy:
When I was struggling to understand the concept of wood grain initially, one old-time whittler told me, "Think of the grain-like petting a cat. When you pet it head to tail, the fur all lies down, and the cat purrs. If you try to go from tail to head, it spikes up, and the cat gets very angry. Keep the cat happy."
So what are you waiting for, get the book now and start your Whittling Journey