Vroman’s Out of This World
2019 Summer Reading Program
Welcome to Vroman’s Out of This World, a summer reading program hosted by Vroman’s Bookstore
for readers entering Kindergarten through 12th Grade!
Rules for every Space Traveler of “Vroman’s Out of This World” Reading Program (6/10 – 8/31/2019)
- - Sign up in store at Vroman’s or Vroman’s Hastings Ranch anytime after June 10th and claim your prizes as early as August 1st.
- - List TEN books you read this summer on an official Vroman’s Issued Space License (See “What Books Can I Read” below).
- - Write at least THREE “Journal Entries” (summaries) and turn them into the Children’s Department.
- - Attend at least ONE event this summer and check in with a Space Agent (bookseller) to mark your attendance.
Space Travel List (FAQ):
1. What books can I read?
Over the summer you’ll have to read and record 10 books! 5 can be any of your choosing and the other 5 have to be: 1 Biography, 1 Graphic Novel, 1 Historical Fiction, 1 Mystery, and 1 book that takes you out of this world (can be fiction or nonfiction)! Be able to tell your Space Agent (bookseller) which is which!
2. What do I write for my summary?
Think of it as a short book review (maybe one paragraph) about what you thought of the book. For ideas of what to write, think about words (such as fast-paced, funny, scary, heart-breaking) that describe what the book was like or how you felt about it. Drop these off anytime over the summer, and we’ll add your notes to our Out of This World Wall of Fame.
3. Can I participate at Vroman’s Hastings Ranch location?
Absolutely! We’ve got great Space Agents (booksellers) at Hastings Ranch, and they will also be recommending books and tracking your progress all summer long! In addition to any special events they may have this summer, they host a story time every Tuesday & Sunday at 10:30am.
4. What events do you have?
Vroman’s regularly offers author events for children’s & YA titles. Check our website (vromansbookstore.com) or monthly newsletter for upcoming author readings and signings. For little ones, we offer Storytime with Mr. Steve every Wednesday and Saturday at 10am. For teens, we have a monthly YA book club called Mischief Managers, which meets at 4pm on the 2nd Sunday of each month. We also have a Middle Grade book club, Tribe of Endless Reading, which meets at 4pm on the 3rd Sunday of each month. Lastly, this summer, we’re doing these special Vroman’s Out of This World Events:
- - Space Crafts – Saturday June 29, 2019 at 1pm Join us for some Out of This World crafts!
- - K-3rd grade Evening Storytime – Friday July 19, 2019 at 4pm Join us for a special Space Storytime.
- - Until Our Next Adventure – Sunday August 18, 2019 at 1pm The End of Summer is near. Join us for a party where we’ll play space themes games, have a set up for photos, snacks, and a raffle!
5. What are the prizes?
Once you’ve completed all of your Out of This World activities, bring in your Vroman’s Issued Space License (bookmark with all of your summer reads listed) to the Vroman’s Children’s Department. We’ll check to make sure you’ve got everything, including attending an event and turning in three “Journal Entries” (summaries), and then you’ll receive your prize pack:
- - A $5 gift card to Vroman’s
- - Advance reading copies of books
- - And you get your bookmark back!
We’ll be handing out prizes starting August 1 (through August 31st), so take your time and enjoy your picks all summer long!
6. How do I find out what other people are reading?
Stop by the bookstore, where we’ll be posting Readers’ summaries of great books all summer long. Also, you can share your picks via social media using the hashtag #VromansOutOfThisWorld. We’ll be posting our favorite reads on Twitter under our usernames @vromansupstairs and @vromans.